By: Darrell Brogdon in PHP Tutorials on 2011-01-24
Decrypting an encrypted file with PHP and GnuPG can be a bit more complex than encrypting, since you are required to provide a GnuPG passphrase. The solution to having to type the passphrase every time the script is run lies in a handy little gpg switch called --passphrase-fd. This switch tells GnuPG to accept the passphrase from a file descriptor, which means that you can echo the passphrase and pipe the output to gpg, as seen in the following example.
$gpg = '/usr/bin/gpg';
$passphrase = 'My secret pass phrase.';
$encrypted_file = 'foo.gpg';
$unencrypted_file = 'foo.txt';
echo shell_exec("echo $passphrase | $gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -o $unencrypted_file -d $encrypted_file");
This script tells gpg to accept the passphrase from STDIN (indicated by the 0 following the switch) and decrypt the information into a file named "foo.txt".
As with encrypting information, you can leave off the -oswitch to gpg and let the decrypted data be captured inside a variable.
It should be noted that the -o switch should always come before the -d switch.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in PHP )
Latest Articles (in PHP)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews