By: Marlon Marescia
Office 365 is Microsoftâ€™s next generation of its Business Online Productivity Suite (BPOS). BPOS has been around for a few years and is Microsoftâ€™s Hosted offering of Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Office Live Meeting and Microsoft Office Communications Online. Office 365 now includes the following products:
- Microsoft Exchange Online â€“ This is the hosted version of Microsoft Exchange and
provides businesses with an enterprise level email system with virus protection
backups and 25GB of storage.
- SharePoint Online - Microsoftâ€™s Online version of SharePoint 2010. It is a cut down version of the SharePoint 2010 Enterprise, but includes many more features than SharePoint 2010 Standard and is outstanding value.
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus â€“ Microsoft has been attempting to offer Microsoft Office as a subscription for some time now, but it has never been a successful offering. With Office 365 I believe they have created a compelling offer for businesses. Users of Office 365 Enterprise can now install the latest versions of Microsoft Office Professional Plus as part of their monthly Office 365 subscription.
- Lync Online â€“ Many businesses today use video conferencing, VoIP, desktop sharing, instant messenger, and online meeting software. The brilliance of Lync Online is it offers all these services and more in a single integrated environment. On top of that Lync offers additional features like seeing the availability of a colleague from within SharePoint, starting an instant message conversation with a colleague while co-authoring a Word Document or booking an online meeting right from within Outlook. Never before has businesses had so many communication features offered in one familiar solution
- Microsoft Web Apps â€“ Microsoft has included Microsoft Web Apps as part of Office 365. This is Microsoftâ€™s online version of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. A user does not require any of these Office products installed on their computer to open and edit Office files.
Office 365 is a software as a service solution licensed on a subscription basis. For business there are two main editions:
- Office 365 for Small Business - $6/user/month
- Office 365 for Enterprise - $24/user/month.
The game changer for business is all these products (except Microsoft Office Professional Plus) are hosted online by Microsoft. This means businesses donâ€™t have to worry about installation, license fees or maintenance. A business can instantly start using these products with confidence knowing they will always work. As part of Office 365 Microsoft also offers:
- Virus protection
- Spam protection
- Money backed service level agreement
- 24/7/ phone support for Office 365 Enterprise Edition or community support for Office 365 Small Business Edition
Most Viewed Articles (in Trends )
Latest Articles (in Trends)
Comment on this tutorial
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews
Subscribe to Tutorials
1. Been hearing about this for quite long. This gives
View Tutorial By: Lolip at 2011-08-24 08:40:20