What is SQL Injection
By: Emiley J. in MySQL Tutorials on 2008-11-23
SQL Injection is a method in which an attacker inserts malicious code into queries that run on your database. Have a look at this example:
$query = "SELECT login_id FROM users WHERE user='$user' AND pwd='$pw'";
Voila ! Anyone can log in as any user, using a query string like http://example.com/login.php?user=admin'%20OR%20(user='&pwd=')%20OR%20user=', which effectively calls the following statements:
$query = "SELECT login_id FROM users WHERE user='admin' OR (user = '' AND pwd='') OR user=''";
It's even simpler with the URL http://example.com/login.php?user=admin'%23, which executes the query SELECT login_id FROM users WHERE user='admin'#' AND pwd=''. Note that the # marks the beginning of a comment in SQL.
Again, it's a simple attack. Fortunately, it's also easy to prevent. You can sanitize the input using the addslashes() function that adds a slash before every single quote ('), double quote ("), backslash (\), and NUL (\0). Other functions are available to sanitize input, such as strip_tags().
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews
Use a dynamic table name in a SQL Server SELECT statement
Finding slow queries in MySQL - Enable slow query log.
mysqldumpslow in MySQL - Summarize slow query log.
Sample my.cnf (my.ini) for MySQL with 1GB RAM
Modify a auto_increment id column in mysql to accept a 5 digit random number instead
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.
ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
Changing the Structure of an Existing Table in MySQL
Inserting Data into Tables in MySQL
Querying the Database in MySQL
Modifying data and using WHERE clause in MySQL