By: Aaron Hillegass in Cocoa Tutorials on 2010-09-24
Multithreading gets a lot of hype because it enables you to take advantage of multiple processors and cores. Multithreading can also ensure that your application stays responsive while it is doing some sort of processing in the background. Multithreaded programming is, however, difficult: The activities of one thread often stomp on the data being used by another.
You can often use multiprocessing to get much of the benefit of multithreaded programming with few of the headaches. That is, instead of creating a new thread to do some sort of processing, simply create a whole new process.
Following are other benefits of multiprocessing over multithreading.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Most Viewed Articles (in Cocoa )
Latest Articles (in Cocoa)
- Data Science
- React Native
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews