By: Baski Viewed: 639 times Printer Friendly Format
The Model 2 architecture for designing JSP pages is in reality, Model View Controller
(MVC) applied to web applications. Hence the two terms can be used interchangeably in the web world. MVC originated in SmallTalk and has since
made its way into Java community. Model 2 architecure and its derivatives are the cornerstones for all serious and industrial strength web applications designed
in the real world. Hence it is essential for you understand this paradigm thoroughly. Figure 1.2 shows the Model 2 (MVC) architecture.
The main difference between Model 1 and Model 2 is that in Model 2, a controller handles the user request instead of another JSP. The controller is implemented as a Servlet. The following steps are executed when the user submits the request.
- The Controller Servlet handles the user’s request. (This means the hyperlink in the JSP should point to the controller servlet).
- The Controller Servlet then instantiates appropriate JavaBeans based on the request parameters (and optionally also based on session attributes).
- The Controller Servlet then by itself or through a controller helper communicates with the middle tier or directly to the database to fetch the required data.
- The Controller sets the resultant JavaBeans (either same or a new one) in one of the following contexts – request, session or application.
- The controller then dispatches the request to the next view based on the request URL.
- The View uses the resultant JavaBeans from Step 4 to display data. Note that there is no presentation logic in the JSP. The sole function of the
JSP in Model 2 architecture is to display the data from the JavaBeans set in the
request, session or application scopes.
Model 2 Architecture.
Advantages of Model 2 Architecture
Since there is no presentation logic in JSP, there are no scriptlets. This means lesser nightmares. [Note that although Model 2 is directed towards elimination of scriptlets, it does not architecturally prevent you from adding scriptlets. This has led to widespread misuse of Model 2 architecture.]
With MVC you can have as many controller servlets in your web application. In fact you can have one Controller Servlet per module. However there are several advantages of having a single controller servlet for the entire web application. In a typical web application, there are several tasks that you want to do for every incoming request. For instance, you have to check if the user requesting an operation is authorized to do so. You also want to log the user’s entry and exit from the web application for every request. You might like to centralize the logic for dispatching requests to other views. The list goes on. If you have several controller servlets, chances are that you have to duplicate the logic for all the above tasks in all those places. A single controller servlet for the web application lets you centralize all the tasks in a single place. Elegant code and easier to maintain.
Web applications based on Model 2 architecture are easier to maintain and extend since the views do not refer to each other and there is no presentation logic in the views. It also allows you to clearly define the roles and responsibilities in large projects thus allowing better coordination among team members.
Most Viewed Articles (in Struts )
Latest Articles (in Struts)
Comment on this tutorial
- Cloud Computing
- Java Beans
- Mac OS X
- Office 365
- Tech Reviews
Subscribe to Tutorials
1. In 6th point .....there is a spelling mistake...mi
View Tutorial By: Gnani at 2009-09-22 12:25:59
2. In 6th point .....there is a spelling mistake...mi
View Tutorial By: Gnani at 2009-09-22 12:26:50
3. Thanks for the clear illustration of the MVC2 arch
View Tutorial By: Tayo at 2010-01-03 12:53:46
5. Clear explanation and clear architecture diagram..
View Tutorial By: safiya begam at 2011-05-09 06:28:51
7. I have told before also....this person here is a c
View Tutorial By: Debo at 2011-09-16 05:33:16
9. Hi Tayo, approach 1 is recommended. In fact approa
View Tutorial By: Ajay at 2012-02-17 16:47:17
11. To explain my ninth grader, I wrote a small explan
View Tutorial By: tushar at 2012-08-24 17:42:49
15. Programming is combination of intelligent and crea
View Tutorial By: asad at 2016-08-05 15:44:42